Tuesday 20 September 2022

Sawar or Sawara - the story on how sounds of letters shattered the life of Adivasis of Chaattisgarg

 

 Sawar or Sawara

--- VR Ajith Kumar

 I am Shivprasad Bhoi. I was born in Bastar district of Chhattisgarh to a Scheduled Tribe community. My parents migrated from the interior of the forest to the village to educate their children. I don't know who advised my father that if you want to be a good adivasi, you should get an education. My father used to smile with clenched and red teeth and says, 'He was not like us, he was a man with a nice white body and clothes,  he was like a king'. Whatever it was, his words stuck inside my father like the words of the God. I learned, passed 10 , Plus 2 and qualified to become a primary teacher.

As a fulfillment of my father's wish, I joined as a primary school teacher in a school in Bastar. It was  in 2010. The certificate stating that the person belongs to Scheduled Tribe  should be attested by a gazetted officer. Once it was sent, the appointment would be confirmed and I would get my salary. I met the Tehsildar with the certificate. He examined the certificate through his microscope. Then he said, 'I don't see your caste in the Scheduled Tribes list.' I was shocked. My studies and stipend had all been based on this till date. Moreover, when I am  an adivasi by birth, how can I suddenly become non-adivasi when I enters a profession. 'Sir, how can you tell like this?  I was born to adivasi parent ,lived till this day as an adivasi. At the age of twenty-six, while I am going to be a Government servant, all of a sudden I become a Non-adivasi ? How could it be?  Sir, have you looked at the list  seriously? '

 “Are you making me crack? See man, Sawar is a tribal  community,You are Sawara. It's not on this list. ', he returned the certificate. 'Sir, this letter “a” might have entered by mistake while the officer prepared the certificate.There is no caste called Sawara in Chhattisgarh. Sir please help me', I lamented.

 'See man, if I help you, I will lose my job. If someone gives a complaint, my work will be over. You file a complaint at the village office from where you got the certificate. Let them decide', he turned his attention to the next man. I went down the steps of the office in despair, realizing that there was no point in staying there anymore. I approached the village officer and lodged a complaint. He checked the documents and ensured that the entry made in the book is also sawara. 'Shivaprasad, this can’t be rectified by me. Your petition has to be sent to the higher ups”, he said. ' This should have been taken care of while given the certificate.Your father didn't look at it, that was the problem '

'Sir, my father is illiterate, how could he read it ' I asked. The non-tribal village officer could not understand the depth of those words. He buried his face in the files. Along with teaching children in the school, I  also followed the file. The file moved from pillar to post. Everyone kept writing in the file according to their mood. The file became thick. Officials put many solutions to the cause. Some wrote  that the officer should correct the mistake and issue a new certificate to Shiv Prasad. Others wrote he cheated the government by creating a fake certificate saying that he is an adivasi, and that the stipend received till date should be recovered with interest.

 After fifteen months, I was dismissed from my job on the grounds that I did not produce a sufficient certificate proving my caste. The salary for the work done till then was not paid. I was exhausted. I met Sidar, the community leader. 'Shivaprasad, thousands of people like you are in the entanglement of the same problem. We are constantly in and out of offices to raise the issue. We met many  political leaders. Send letters to both Central and State Governments. We are regularly meeting the Scheduled Tribe Development Commissioner. Everyone wants to help us, but no one knows how to, and no one has the courage. It may also be based on the traditional sense of officers that what can be gained by helping an adivasi. Anyway, your complaint is serious. The issue  will be  solved one day,Shivaprasad, let's try', he reassured.

Many young people who came to see the leader  were also facing  the same situation. One of them told me, 'There is only one way to change this'. I looked at him, 'he cautiously looked around and slowly said, join the Naxals. Are you coming with me', the fervor in his eyes scared me. I walked on without looking back. I realized that if I continued to pursue my case, I would either become a Naxal or starve to death. I returned to my traditional land and started farming on a serious way. My father was very sad that his son lost his job. As the worry did not go away, he became sleepless. He met many leaders and all of them tried to pacify him. On such a journey, he was hit by a vehicle and died. I tried to forget everything I had studied and devoted my body and mind to agriculture. My wife was also with me. I have two children. My bitter experience did not pull me from providing education to kids. Unfortunately, they were also listed as ‘Sawara ‘, a non-existent caste. But, the officials were merciful enough to provide stipend to them. Time went on and I forgot on the complaint I had given. But there were hundreds of such files moving around in many lofts.

Although ,Article 342 (1) and (2) of the Constitution clearly defines who is adivasi, the root cause of these problems was the book prepared and published by Chhattisgarh Tribal Research and Training Center in 2004, recently reported in a newspaper. Anthropologists and ethnologists say that the problem lies in the book's misinterpretation of a Supreme Court order and confusing interpretation of the words synonym and synonymous.

In any case, the mistakes that followed for the last  twenty years had destroyed the life dreams of many like me, but the next generation can take comfort, as the Central Cabinet has issued an order approving eleven more adivasi clan words which are facing such a crisis. Now I  dream of the days when my son and daughter will become officers

No comments:

Post a Comment